You have probably seen the hashtag, #motivationalmonday. Well it is Monday and I hope you are feeling motivated, more specifically positively motivated. A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of attending a presentation by Michelle Gielan. Michelle gained visibility as a CBS News anchor, but her book Broadcasting Happiness and research on positive phycology are why you should learn about her.
The idea of choosing happiness to make your life better does seem like ‘woo woo’ science, but it really isn’t. Yes, there is a growing body of research supporting mindset and the impact it has on the human body. Sure there are things you can buy to increase your happiness, but really you can start by just being grateful.
Change Your Broadcast
Here is a five minute primer on being grateful. Pay attention to the natural beauty captured by Louie Schwartzberg and listen to the words of Benedictine monk, Brother David Steindl-Rast.
11 Decisions to choose daily
I hope you are motivated to work on being grateful. I want to further impress upon you the importance of your thoughts. The things we think about in the morning set up how our thoughts will go for the day directly impacting how we react to people and the decisions we make (this is why I start my morning routine with a Bible devotion).
To help make it easy for you I’ve included a list of 11 decisions you can choose daily to help set you up for success and happiness. This’s Maia Markovic’s list from Charles Poliquin’s website, Strength Sensei.
1. Decide to be a Role Model: “This means deciding that today is another day you will power through and be grateful for all the opportunities you have, decide to make a positive difference by all of your actions and decisions.
2. Decide that you are not in competition with anyone else but yourself.
3. Decide on Progress, Not Perfection.
4. Decide that you can be the first to make something happen.
5. Decide what perception you will give a difficult situation.
6. Decide that you are the most powerful person in your life.
7. Decide that you are going to accept yourself and where you are today.
8. Decide that someone else’s reactions to you generally have nothing to do with you.
9. Decide what your life is going to look like.
10. Always express honestly what you feel, where you are in life, and what you want for yourself.
11. Decide to take action on the things you feel strongly about.
I want you to create a snowball effect of success to build happiness. I hope you are ready to fully commit to Maia’s list of 11 decisions. However, maybe you need something a little simpler to start building up that happiness bank.
Change Your Power
Here is a 21 day challenge from Michelle’s Broadcasting Happiness book that involves three things that you will do daily.
I dare you to accept the challenge. It will change your life.
To your happiness,
P.S. I hope you already have an overflowing happiness bank. If you do, than I dare you to accept this challenge: